Thursday, May 3, 2012

NYC Day #2- BAM

Although today was not as close to home as yesterday, today was still a very interesting day.

We started off the day by visiting St. John's Cathedral. This was the favorite part of my day, by far, and a lot of that can be contributed to the fact that our tour guide in the cathedral was phenomenal. I really enjoyed the inviting nature that was emulated by the entire chapel, be it inviting to different religions, or people who focus their lives on different things. The incorporation of important religious symbols and numbers into the physical architecture also caught my attention. Being that I am a huge architecture nerd, I couldn't stop admiring the building, with all of its stone and impressive construction. Seeing the juxtaposition between Gothic and Romanesque styles in the cathedral was symbolic of the fight between good and evil in the world.

Next, we went to the Apollo theatre. This is such an important cultural icon in Harlem, and I am glad that I got to be a part of it for part of a day. Seeing people be passionate about something like that is very inspiring to me.

After the Apollo theatre, we went to the Metropolitan museum. I've never been a very big museum person, but this is the most I've been interested. I really enjoyed seeing all the different styles of art from around the world, and from different time periods. My favorite piece of art was the sounding post used as an alert system in the jungle. In addition to this specific art piece, I was also very intrigued by colors used by many of the artists. I plan to do my senior thesis on color theory and it was very interesting to gather information from a place that I don't know if i'll be abel to visit again before that project comes to a close. Noticing that brown was the most prominently displayed color was a huge help to me in gaining information about color theory from other areas about the world.

We followed that with a Pedi-Cab ride around Central Park, then by dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner. Finally, we returned to the hotel for another night's rest.

Until next time!

BAM

No comments:

Post a Comment